- This event has passed.
CODING 101: A 4-WEEK INTRODUCTION TO PROGRAMMING SERIES – WEEK 4
May 2, 2018 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm$199
Are you intimidated by your computer? Does the very mention of coding send you into cardiac arrest? Well let Kelli and Neil Rotstan take the panic out of programming! Join Kelli and Neil, the computer wizards behind VolunteerMethow.org, for a fun, informative and practical 4 week series exploring the world of computer programming.
Neil and Kelli Rotstan moved to the Methow Valley full-time in 2007. They studied computer science at Loyola Marymount University, where they first met, and have been developing software professionally for the nearly two decades since. In their spare time, they enjoy working on Volunteer Methow and other community endeavors. Neil and Kelli both feel feel very lucky to be able to raise their 4 year-old daughter, Emilia, here in this amazing community and look forward to sharing their passion with others who have an interest in learning to code.
The series will consist of a 2 hour class Wednesday evenings and an optional 1 hour Lab on Saturdays. Class size is limited and pre-registration is required. Scholarships available on a case by case basis. Email Sarah email@example.com to inquire about scholarship opportunities.
Included in the cost for this series
– Your very own Raspberry Pi computer, monitor, keyborad and mouse
– All required electronics components
– Intro to Programming Book
Week 4: Culminating Project
– Write a program that can read from a temperature sensor and display the results on screen
– Enhance our temperature sensor program to send us a text message when the temp hits a certain level
– Build a standalone, battery-powered device that can be put under a cupboard and sends a text message if temp gets too low (keep pipes from freezing)
Week 4 Lab: Additional time and hands-on help to finish device
This amazing class is open to ages 14+ all that’s required is a basic knowledge of computers (surfing the web, editing a document) and a willingness to play around and explore. No wizardry required, we promise!